Thursday 2 September 2010

A-Z Project "K" for KIRLIAN PHOTOGRAPHY

Finally I started to work on the summer project today! This project has list of words from A-Z where we are supposed to chose one word from each letter. I'm going to pick the letters randomly and I assume that I will be changing some as the ideas come to me. This year I want to experiment more . I wanna to try new things and put my hands on it.

I went to the library and I chose my first letter K from one simple reason. I have never ever heard of Kirlian photography so I was very interested to find out what exactly it is. I was very surprised with what I found out. What beautiful images! I really want to make my own though I think I will need some help from my fellow students. Maybe somebody has chosen the same world and will keen to do it with ;o).


KIRLIAN PHOTOGRAPHY / electrography/

Is a photography made by using a high voltage.

It has been named after Semyon Davidovich Kirlian, who in 1939 accidentally discovered that if an object on a photographic plate is connected to a source of high voltage create an image on the photographic plate. Kirlian and his wife Valentina collaborated for over 30 years developing equipment and studying electro-photography.

Kirlian wasn’t the first to study electro-photography. The field of electro-photography can be traced back to the late 1700s. At this time Georg Christoph Lictenberg noted the pictures made in dust create by static electricity and electric sparks.

Electrography has been used in popular culture. For example concert programme from David Bowie’s 1976 Station to Station tour featured some results of the technique. The David Bowie album Earthling and the single “LittleWonder” used the images Bowie created as part of their cover and interior artwork.

They say do not try this with digital camera!


Little Wonder

No comments:

Post a Comment