Tuesday 7 September 2010

"L" for LINOCUT

I am very pleased to find linocut in A-Z project! I often saw people in studio cutting linoleum thinking I wanna do it too. Yesterday i went down to Atlantis art shop and bought everything I needed for linocut. And today I tried to do it. I had so much fun! I felt like being a kid again. Not knowing how the print is gonna come out made me very excited an happy! Can't wait to do it again ;-)


LINOCUT
Linocut is a printmaking technique,similar to woodcut, where linoleum is used for the relief surface.
The linocut printing technique was used first by the artists of Die Brücke in Germany between 1905-13 where it had been similarly used for wallpaper printing. And around 1960 it started to be used as a floor covering.
Due to ease of use linocut is widely used in schools or at home. The linocut is established as professional print medium thanks to the input of Picassoand Henri Matisse.

Picasso

Matisse
How to do it:
1. cut a design design is cut into the linoleum surface using a sharp knife (knife for linocut v shape)
2. inked the linoleum sheet with a roller
3. impressed onto paper or fabric (the actual printing can be done by hand or with a press)






my linocut

No comments:

Post a Comment