Monday 3 May 2010

Van Doesburg exhibition at Tate Modern

Wow this exhibition was to me the best ever. Theo van Doesburg was one of the leading figures in the development of geometric abstraction. A highly versatile artist in his own right, he was also the founder and chief spokesman of De Stijl group, and edited the magazine of the same name. This exhibition explores his role within the international avant-garde not only through his own work - as artist, designer, writer and editor - but also that of the artist he promoted, collaborated with, learned from and influenced.
I was pleased to see De Stijl bits and typography which was amazing. I was also very suprised by one piece made by one czech artist (Vitezlav Nezval) called Abeceda as I learned about him at school as being writer and member of the avant-garde group of artists Devetsil (Nine Forces). But we only read his books. essays etc and I have never seen his work or understand the subject. It made me proud to see his work in Tate ;o)....









No comments:

Post a Comment